Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Weekend in Review


Happy Independence day!  I feel privileged to have spent our fourth of July weekend in a military town amidst so many men and women who have dedicated their lives to serving our country.  It was an emotional experience for me to see men and women in uniform given standing ovations, salutes, handshakes, heart felt thank yous and hugs all around me.  It gave a new meaning to the holiday for me.  And, this weekend was no exception to having some Colorado fun!  Shawn and I are really enjoying how many things there are available to do here!  Things may change in the winter but the summer really is a bit of paradise :)
We started our holiday celebration on Sunday with some friends and their children...decorating bikes, eating hotdogs, splashing in the water, having a kids parade and of course eating watermelon :)

Then on Monday morning we decided to check out the "best" small town parade in America...so they say :) It was great fun in Monument, CO!








The kids were wildly entertained...they had elephants, camels, horses, bands, military vehicles, you name it!  When I asked the kids on the way home what their favorite parts were, Amelia said "the candy we got!" and Aliza laughed and said "horse poop."  Because....a horse did just that in front of us.  And, Aliza sucked on a tootsie pop for the better part of an hour.  Content as can be :)

After naps we decided to check out the air force academy's festivities and fireworks.  I am so glad that we did.  They had music and bounce houses and guns to touch (amelia stayed her distance) and a fireworks display that was beautiful.  I would go all over again just to hear Aliza's excitement over EACH AND EVERY FIREWORK.  She sat in my lap pointing, bouncing and yelling like a madwoman "Wook momma!  Wook daddy! Wook at that one!"  We got to the car at 10pm and the kids fell asleep in minutes after which Shawn and I (well mostly Shawn because I fell asleep at some point also) sat for an hour and half until our car finally exited the academy and pulled into our driveway at exactly midnight.  It was worth every minute for the memories!
Checking out some military vehicles

Amelia sliding!
Aliza excitedly waiting for the fireworks :)

Watching the show

Part of the finale


No comments: